You can’t beat the beets! Beets are a great root vegetable that is a great source of folate and Vitamin A and K. It is an excellent fit for the mediterranean diet and been shown to help in the process of detoxification. Did you know the green leaves of beets are edible? This time of year they work to boil them until they are tender throughout. If you wash them with cold water after boiling them, the skin easily peels off. Slicing them up and including them in a salad, like the one below, is an excellent way to try it!
Berry Beet Salad
- 1 each fresh red and golden beets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens (or greens from beets)
- 1 ounce fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Place beets in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cool beets; peel and cut into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the beets, berries, walnuts and shallot. Pour dressing over beet mixture and toss gently to coat. Divide salad greens among 4 serving plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with cheese and basil.